Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Network
Some Grandparents end up raising or thinking about raising their grandchildren. This is often because circumstances prevent their adult child from caring for their own child(ren). No matter what the cause, this is a very difficult turn in the path for a Grandparent.
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Network at the Shuswap Family Resource Centre provides support for these Grandparents as they face very unique and significant challenges of parenting a second time. They can contact the program for help as they navigate complex legal and government systems. There are opportunities to buddy-up with another Grandparent who understands what they are going through. The program also can offer support to Grandparents as they deal with the emotional and financial issues that often come with their situation.
What is Offered
- Phone and drop-in for individuals: 10am-12pm, every second and fourth Tuesday of the month. [Other days/times available as needed.]
- Semi-annual Newsletter sent by email or regular ‘snail’ mail.
- Information about speakers/events, with opportunities to network afterwards.
- A “Mini-Retreat” from time to time, featuring a special guest and activities.
- Connections to resources such as the Provincial Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Line: firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-855-474-7777.
Grandparents say Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Network helps them to feel that they are not alone in their journey.