Adoption Resource & Support (ARS)
Who is it for?
- Those who may be considering adopting.
- Those who are already in the process of adopting.
- Those who have completed an adoption and are looking for ongoing peer support or information.
- Also, for those with a referral from the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD), ARS provides services during the transition from foster family to adoptive family.
To assist adoptive parents and children to have healthy experiences throughout the adoption journey. This service is provided through education, skill building and support in the areas of:
- Understanding the effects of grief and loss
- Information to support children who may be living with special needs
- Life Books
- Retaining a child’s connection to their culture
- Maximizing a child’s understanding of adoption as they mature
- Accessing information about community services and referral to services when appropriate.
- Confidential phone-in and drop-in support.
- Semi-annual Adoption Support Newsletter.
- Adoption section in the Resource Centre’s FREE community library that includes adoption related children’s books.
- Three annual events for adoptive families and friends: a Family Barbeque, Skating Party, and Pool Party. Families report these are the best way to connect with the adoption community.
- Links to community workshops, speakers and on-line learning.
- Connections to province-wide support/education through Adoptive Families Association of BC (AFA- BC).
ARS service is free and available without a referral. Some referrals are made by an Adoption Social Worker at MCFD. You can request services directly by contacting:
- Adoption Resource & Support
681 Marine Park Drive NE
Salmon Arm BC V1E 2W7
Phone 250-832-2170 Ext. 104
ARS is a part-time program. If you don’t reach an ARS worker, leave a message and you will be contacted at the worker’s next possible opportunity.