Parents Together is a professionally facilitated education and group support program for parents who are experiencing challenges while parenting a teen. Parents come to group with a wide range of concerns. Most commonly, parents worry about their teen’s mental health, lack of motivation, substance use, abusive or aggressive actions and their defiant/rebellious attitude. Many parents reaching out for support often feel guilty, blamed by others, isolated, and are not sure what to do. Parents Together can help address these feelings and parents often begin to feel less alone and more confident in their parenting. This is all provided in a confidential, non-judgemental group setting.
Many parents report better relationships with their youth as a result of attending the program.
Parents may also experience:
- Increased confidence as a parent
- Increased ability to defuse conflict
- Better relationships with spouse and past partners
- Knowledge of issues affecting their child’s lives
- Increased ability to advocate on behalf of themselves and their families
- Compassion for other families
- Decreased isolation and greater friendship
- Access to community resources
- New coping and communication skills
- Increased ability to address self-care
Please contact Shuswap Family Centre for more information at 250-832-2170.